29. Balbi Piovera Francesco
via Balbi, 6



Aree tematiche

Terzo palazzo a sorgere sul lato a mare della Strada dei Signori Balbi ma ultimo nella vicenda edilizia della via, venne edificato tra il 1656 e il 1674 per volere di Francesco Maria Balbi, che ne affidò la progettazione all’architetto Pietro Antonio Corradi, già attivo nel rinnovo della dimora ereditata dal padre Giacomo e dal fratello Pantaleo.
Sorta unicamente come casa da reddito e, come tale, rimasta spoglia di decorazioni e collezioni, dopo la morte di Francesco Maria, nel 1705, passò in proprietà al nipote Costantino, che diede avvio ad un importante cantiere di rinnovo architettonico e di decorazione che configurarono gli spazi con la dovuta magnificenza familiare, esplicitata anche attraverso una magnifica collezione di dipinti che trovarono posto nelle sale e nella piccola galleria che componevano l’appartamento nobile della dimora; collezione in gran parte alienata con il passaggio dell’edificio a Marcello Luigi Durazzo, nel 1824: alcune opere prestigiose, tra quelle non vendute, furono trasferite, per passaggio ereditario, nel palazzo degli Spinola in Piazza Pellicceria dove il pubblico può ancora ammirarle nelle sale di quella dimora, divenuta oggi la Galleria Nazionale di Palazzo Spinola.
La nuova proprietà rinnovò completamente l’edificio, dando mandato di un generale progetto di rifacimento all’architetto Nicolò Laverneda, che si avvalse della collaborazione del pittore-scenografo Michele Canzio, dei plasticatori David Parodi e Giuseppe Gaggini e del pittore Francesco Baratta.
Nel 1890, dopo un breve periodo in cui appartenne ai Gropallo, il palazzo fu acquistato dall’imprenditore genovese Edilio Raggio che ne affidò la radicale trasformazione all’architetto Luigi Rovelli: in questa occasione il palazzo venne completamente trasformato, demoliti gli interni e ricavati appartamenti. Contestualmente venne ridisegnata la facciata (sottoposta a un recente restauro) secondo canoni neomanieristi; venne quindi creato il vasto atrio affacciato su un piccolo cortile retrostante e il grande scalone monumentale, sostenuto da archi rampanti e volte a crociera, sulla cui volta Cesare Viazzi, intorno al 1893, dipinse un ciclo di tempere murali dedicate ad allegorie risorgimentali e alla celebrazione della monarchia sabauda e dello stato unitario, recentemente restaurate; mentre in una delle sale di rappresentanza l’allievo di Nicolò Barabino, Luigi Gainotti, affrescò l’Allegoria della Liguria. A partire dagli anni Cinquanta del Novecento il palazzo è stato dato in locazione all’Ateneo genovese che vi ospita Dipartimenti della Scuola di Scienze Umanistiche e la Biblioteca “Romeo Crippa”.
 
Bibliografia aggiornata post 1998
P. Moncagatto, Palazzo Francesco Maria Balbi, in “Arkos”, supplemento al n. 7/2004 “Il restauro dei palazzi dei Rolli”, pp. 98-101.


The Palazzo was owned originally by Francesco Maria Balbi, followed by Marcello Luigi Durazzo and finally by Edilio Raggio, retaining the current placename.

The building is of Seventeenth Century origin and was part of the ambitious project to build a road of huge importance for the city commissioned by the Governing Authorities of the old Republic of Genoa with an edict issued on 9 July 1601 signed by Gio. Andrea Costa.
The construction of the new road had been justified both for economic reasons – it would raise money for the Republic – and for reasons relating to city planning and public benefit. The records of the Magistrature of the Fathers of the City Council illustrate the characteristics providing a benefit to the public: in particular, the new road provided for a new essential access route to the area to the West past the Porta di San Tommaso and the city boundaries marked by the city walls.
The building involved in our project was the last to be constructed on the seafacing side of the new road. The application to construct the building was submitted by Francesco Maria Balbi in February 1657, and on the 13 April the construction work was commissioned from “Maestri Michele Moncino and Michele Rusca” identifying its main design features and the choice of materials. The building works were halted almost immediately due to the epidemic of plague that had swept the City since the previous year. Victims of the epidemic included the two Masters – Monchino and Rusca -, and so Francesco Maria Balbi transferred the project to Pietro Antonio Corradi in October 1658. The construction’s estimated date of completion was 1665.
The building had been constructed in order to develop apartments for rent and it was due to this designated usage that Balbi had obtained special privileges relating to land purchase and in the agreements with the Public Administration.
It is suggested that the original distribution arrangement was very similar to that of Palazzo Balbi Senarega, but the current situation in no way substantiates such a theory.
The palazzo transferred to Costantino Balbi and it was he who was responsible for the first changes made in the first twenty years of the Eighteenth Century; the existence and extent of these works is recorded in the Mastro Book started in 1740 by the first born Giacomo Antonio.
In 1824 the Palazzo was purchased by Marcello Luigi Durazzo and the paintings contained therein were taken to Palazzo Spinola di Pellicceria. On this occasion the Palazzo was decorated by the architect Nicolò Laverneda who worked “in a contained and measured manner” decorating the stairs, drawing rooms and private rooms, and also redesigning the entrance door.
The most major renovation works were carried out later, after the building was purchased by Edilio Raggio, a very important end-of-century entrepreneur. The first project carried out under the name of the architect Luigi Rovelli, involved “the restoration of the facades for purposes of coordination so that they all have the same architecture”.
A second project in 1891 also included alterations to the interior with the demolition of the church of S. Antonio Abate and work on the elevations over the alleys, preserving the old doorway of the oratory of S. Antonio Abate and extending the atrium to the side of which rises the staircase supported by arches and cross vaults.
The staircase decorated along its length with fake marble and stucco work ends with the vaulted ceiling adorned by the paintings of Cesare Viazzi. Alongside the allegorical personification of certain events in the history of the Risorgimento, this major project also included the construction on the roof of a winter garden.
The only reminder of this major refurbishment still existing today is the exquisitely crafted iron and glass work.
It currently houses the library of the Faculty of Letters, Philosophy, and Modern Art of the University of Genoa.
 
 


I testi sono stati aggiornati grazie al progetto INSIDE STORIES finanziato a valere sui fondi – Legge 20 febbraio 2006, n. 77 “Misure speciali di tutela e fruizione dei siti italiani di interesse culturale, paesaggistico e ambientale, inseriti nella “lista del patrimonio mondiale”, posti sotto la tutela dell’UNESCO