1. Doria Antonio - Doria Spinola
largo Lanfranco, 1



PALAZZO DORIA-SPINOLA

II Palazzo venne costruito isolato, presso la porta dell’acquasola nel 1541-43, per l’ammiraglio Antonio Doria, marchese di Santo Stefano d’Aveto, nipote di Andrea Doria.

La sistemazione interna, costituita da atrio, cortile, scalone laterale a due rampe e, al primo piano, la galleria loggiata, che distribuisce, senza criteri di simmetria, le sale di rappresentanza sul prospetto anteriore e le sale d’abitazione sugli altri lati, sembra obbedire al solo intento di esaltare lo spazio del cortile e la sua alta qualità strutturale e decorativa. II cortile, a pianta quadrata e a doppio ordine di logge, presenta una raffinata decorazione a stucco con telamoni alternati a maschere femminili che il restauro recente (2001) ha permesso di datare, nella sua odierna configurazione, alla fine dell’Ottocento. Alla fine del Cinquecento, viene aggiunto il portale esterno, con figure di armati abbigliati all’antica, sull’attico, tradizionalmente attribuito a Taddeo Carlone.
Nel 1624, quando perviene agli Spinola, che lo terranno fino al secolo scorso, Bartolomeo Bianco costruisce a levante una loggia, affrescata in seguito da Andrea Ansaldo e aggiunge balconi e balaustre marmoree sul prospetto principale.

Negli anni 1793-97, il Palazzo é sopraelevato di un piano e nel 1876 passa in proprietà al Comune di Genova. L’apertura di via Roma, nel 1877, impone il taglio dello spigolo destro delL’edificio alL’innesto con salita Santa Caterina, l’alterazione della quota di imposta del prospetto e la scomparsa del giardino. Venduto alla Provincia di Genova nel 1879, subisce numerose modifiche per l’adattamento a uffici.

L’assetto originario rimane documentato dalle sole tavole rubensiane (ed. 1652, Palazzo del sig. Antonio Doria, marchese di Santo Stefano). A proposito dei disegni del Rubens, Labó rileva che, nel 1938, quando la facciata subì un restauro, sul lato verso piazza Corvetto apparvero chiare le tracce degli archetti sotto il cornicione a lunette: essi, unicum assoluto nell’architettura genovese di quel momento, sono invece abbastanza correnti in Lombardia.

Circa la questione dell’attribuzione del progetto del palazzo, Alizeri pensò al Montorsoli; ipotesi attraente, poiché la costruzione del Palazzo sembra incominciata nel 1541-43 quando il Montorsoli tornò a Genova, dove era già stato a servizio di Andrea Doria, ma non suffragabile adeguatamente né a livello documentario né stilistico. Rivolgendo invece, l’attenzione alla Lombardia e ai Magistri Antelami, Rotondi,nel 1958, riprendendo un’ipotesi già avanzata da Labó nel 32, suggerì il nome di Caranchetto, per ipotizzare infine L’intervento, nella decorazione del Palazzo, di Giovanni Battista Castello detto il Bergamasco. Poleggi, individua, sulla scorta di documenti, il nome di Bernardino Cantone quale possibile artefice delL’opera. A proposito dei cartigli e delle erme in stucco decoranti i prospetti del cortile, va osservato che essi appaiono sovrapporsi a un’originaria decorazione ad affresco che si svolgeva, con quadrature e motivi a grottesche, sugli estradossi degli archi e nei pennacchi. Tali decorazioni, di cui si è lasciato un ‘testimone’ nell’angolo superiore destro del loggiato non coincidono con le sovrapposte partiture a stucco.

Questa constatazione, insieme a dati relativi alla materia e allo stile, alquanto eclettico, dei rilievi a stucco induce ad avanzare dubbi sulla loro contestualitá ai principali momenti decorativi che caratterizzano la fabbrica. Trattandosi di una questione critica delicata e complessa, alla quale mancano per ora adeguati supporti documentari, se ne rimanda la completa analisi a un successivo contributo.

II prospetto principale, su largo Eros Lanfranco, in origine con sei assi di finestre, ora é ridotto a cinque assi e a uno sul lato obliquo. La facciata si sviluppa al piano terra con un basamento in lastre di Pietra di Finale, intervallato da aperture a mezzanino che ricompaiono al primo piano e al terzo. Sull’asse centrale del prospetto, é inserito il portale in Marmo, aggiunto, come già detto, alla fine del ‘500.

Tra il 1793-97, il Palazzo fu rialzato di un piano attraverso la sopraelevazione del sottotetto e L’inserimento di un nuovo mezzanino.

L’intervento decorativo originario si deve ai fratelli Lazzaro e Pantaleo Calvi (1541-43) e aveva questa articolazione: negli interassi al primo piano, scene a monocromo imitanti bronzo, raffiguravano “Trionfi degli antichi Romani”, sopra le trabeazioni rettilinee del primo ordine di finestre, erano dislocate coppie di figure giacenti; a livello del primo mezzanino, negli interassi, riquadri monocromi con aquile, festoni e panoplie.

All’altezza del parapetto del secondo piano, correva un fregio di putti intervallato da iscrizioni. Al secondo piano nobile, oltre a una lesena scanalata composita allo spigolo, era posta una figura di “Armato stante”; sui timpani centinati delle finestre si avevano coppie di figure femminili.

L’assetto decorativo interno vede ancora all’opera l’attivissima bottega dei Calvi; a Marcantonio si deve l’affresco con le Gesta del Capitano Antonio Doria che orna la volta del vestibolo, mentre ai nipoti sono da attribuire le figure di Armigeri che ornano le pareti del cortile. Felice Calvi è l’autore delle Vedute di città celebri che si dispiegano sulle pareti del loggiato superiore, vedute ingenue e ariose, assai familiari ad una aristocrazia di navigatori, mercanti e finanzieri. Ancora ai Calvi sono da riferire le decorazioni dell’anticamera e dell’ufficio del Prefetto con Salomone e la Regina di Saba e immagini della mitologia greco-romana; ma il fulcro degli apparati decorativi del palazzo va individuato negli affreschi di Giovanni e Luca Cambiaso che ornano le volte della Sala degli Arazzi con Storie di Ercole e il Salone con la Vendetta di Apollo sui Greci e nelle pareti Storie della Guerra di Troia. Quest’ ultimo affresco, in particolare, documenta la fase iniziale della pittura del Cambiaso con un’adesione piena alla poetica manierista delle immagini grandeggianti e drammatiche, che qui incombono sullo spettatore come le celebri Cadute dei Giganti di Giulio Romano a Mantova e di Perin del Vaga a Genova nella villa di Andrea Doria aFassolo. Anche i colori, cupi con improvvisi bagliori di luce, attestano l’interesse di Luca per il genere dei notturni,propensione che anticipa, in certo senso, la rivoluzione caravaggesca.

Il testo di Gianni Bozzo.


The Palazzo was built on its own, at the Acquasola gate in 1541-43, for Admiral Antonio Doria, Marchese of Santo Stefano d’Aveto, grandson of Andrea Doria.
The internal layout consists of an atrium, courtyard, side staircase with two flights and, on the first floor, the colonnaded gallery, which distributes the state apartments, on a non-symmetrical basis, over the front elevation and the living areas on the other sides. Its sole purpose seems to be to enhance the courtyard space and the high quality of its structure and decor. The square-plan courtyard with a double row of loggias features elegant stucco decoration with telamons alternating with female masks that the recent restoration (2002) has been able to date, in its current configuration, at the end of the Nineteenth Century. The external doorway was added at the end of the Sixteenth Century, with figures of armed warriors dressed in classical garb, Attic style, traditionally attributed to Taddeo Carlone.
In 1624, when it was transferred to the Spinola family, who would keep it up to the last century, Bartolomeo Bianco built a loggia to the east, which was later frescoed by Andrea Ansaldo, and added balconies and marble balustrades to the main elevation.

Between 1793-97, a floor was added to the Palazzo and in 1876 ownership was transferred to Genoa City Council. The opening of via Roma, in 1877, made it necessary to cut the right corner of the building at the junction with salita Santa Caterina, alter the height of the elevation and dispose of the garden. Sold to the Province of Genoa in 1879, the building underwent numerous alterations so that it could be used as offices.
The original layout remains documented solely by the Rubens illustrations (ed. 1652, Palazzo Antonio Doria, Marchese of Santo Stefano). Regarding Rubens drawings, Labò reports that, in 1938, when the façade was restored, clear traces appeared of the arches under the fanlight cornice: these, which were absolutely unique in Genoese architecture at that time, are by contrast quite common in Lombardy.
As for the question of to whom to attribute the design of the palazzo, Alizeri thought it was Montorsoli; an attractive theory, since it seems that the construction of the Palazzo started in 1541-43 when Montorsoli returned to Genoa, where he had already been in the service of Andrea Doria. However, this cannot be adequately substantiated either at documentary level or in reference to style. In 1958 Rotondi turned his attention to Lombardy and the Magistri Antelami and, picking up on the theory already put forward by Labò in 1932, suggested the name of Caranchetto. His final decision on the matter of the Palazzo’s decoration settled on Giovanni Battista Castello, known as the Bergamasco.
Based on documentary evidence, Poleggi identifies the name of Bernardino Cantone as the possible creator of the works. It should be noted that the scroll ornaments and stucco herms decorating the courtyard elevations appear to be overlaying an original fresco decoration applied to the extrados surfaces of the arches and in the pendentives, with quadratura and motifs with grotesques. Evidence of these decorations has been left in the top right-hand corner of the loggia but the decorations do not coincide with the overlaid stucco styling. When this fact is considered together with information on the material used and the quite eclectic style f the stucco reliefs, there is some doubt as to whether these decorations could have been applied at the same time as the building’s main distinctive decorative features. Given the delicate and complex nature of this critical question, for which there is still no adequate supporting documentation, a full analysis will be deferred to a later stage.
The main elevation, on largo Eros Lanfranco originally had six rows of windows, which is now reduced to five rows and one on the oblique side. The façade extends to the ground floor with a Finale Stone slab base, divided by mezzanine openings that reappear on the first and third floors. The marble doorway, added, as already mentioned, at the end of the Sixteenth Century, is located at the centre of the fa¸ade.
Between 1793-97, a floor was added to the Palazzo by raising the under-roof area and adding a new mezzanine. The original decoration is due to the brothers Lazzaro and Pantaleo Calvi (1541-43) and featured the following: the first floor bays contained imitation-bronze monochrome scenes depicting the “Triumphs of the ancient Romans”; pairs of recumbent figures were located above the straight trabeations of the first row of windows; the bays on the first mezzanine level contained monochrome panels with eagles, festoons and panoplies. A frieze of putti, divided by inscriptions, ran along the second floor parapet. The second piano nobile, in addition to a composite fluted pilaster in the corner, contained a figure of a “Standing figure of an armed man”; pairs of female figures were mounted on the arched tympanae of the windows.
The highly sought after Calvi workshop was once again involved with the interior decoration; Marcantonio was responsible for the fresco depicting the Feats of Captain Antonio Doria which adorns the vestibule vaulted ceiling, whilst the Warrior figures adorning the courtyard walls are attributable to his grandsons. Felice Calvi is the artist of the Celebrated city views decorating the walls of the upper loggia. These are vibrant and innocent views, very familiar to an aristocracy of navigators, merchants and financiers. The decorations of the antechamber and Prefect’s office, featuring Solomon and the Queen of Sheba and images from Greek-Roman mythology, are also attributable to the Calvi family; but the cornerstone of the palazzo’s decorations has to be the frescoes of Giovanni and Luca Cambiaso that adorn the vaulted ceilings of the Sala degli Arazzi depicting Stories of Hercules and the Salon featuring Apollo’s Revenge on the Greeks and the Stories of the Trojan War adorning the walls. The last fresco, in particular, documents the initial phase of Cambiaso’s painting, fully reflecting the mannerist poetics of the grandiose and dramatic images bearing down on the spectator, in the manner of the famous Fall of the Giants by Giulio Romano in Mantua and Perin del Vaga in Genoa in Andrea Doria’s villa in Fassolo. The colours, which are sombre with sudden gleams of light, also bear witness to Luca’s interest in nocturnal themes, a preference that in a certain sense could be said to anticipate the Caravaggio revolution.
piano nobile, in addition to a composite fluted pilaster in the corner, contained a figure of a “Standing figure of an armed man”; pairs of female figures were mounted on the arched tympanae of the windows.
The highly sought after Calvi workshop was once again involved with the interior decoration; Marcantonio was responsible for the fresco depicting the Feats of Captain Antonio Doria which adorns the vestibule vaulted ceiling, whilst the Warrior figures adorning the courtyard walls are attributable to his grandsons. Felice Calvi is the artist of the Celebrated city views decorating the walls of the upper loggia. These are vibrant and innocent views, very familiar to an aristocracy of navigators, merchants and financiers. The decorations of the antechamber and Prefect’s office, featuring Solomon and the Queen of Sheba and images from Greek-Roman mythology, are also attributable to the Calvi family; but the cornerstone of the palazzo’s decorations has to be the frescoes of Giovanni and Luca Cambiaso that adorn the vaulted ceilings of the Sala degli Arazzi depicting Stories of Hercules and the Salon featuring Apollo’s Revenge on the Greeks and the Stories of the Trojan War adorning the walls. The last fresco, in particular, documents the initial phase of Cambiaso’s painting, fully reflecting the mannerist poetics of the grandiose and dramatic images bearing down on the spectator, in the manner of the famous Fall of the Giants by Giulio Romano in Mantua and Perin del Vaga in Genoa in Andrea Doria’s villa in Fassolo. The colours, which are sombre with sudden gleams of light, also bear witness to Luca’s interest in nocturnal themes, a preference that in a certain sense could be said to anticipate the Caravaggio revolution.